M> linking the functions from ruby.h can not be linked in.  Could someone
M> please shoot me a sample make file or let me know if there are any
M> settings i must include to get them to link.

 The module Config can give you all the values to use

 You must use (for -L)

pigeon% ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["archdir"]'
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux"
pigeon%

pigeon% ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["libdir"]'
"/usr/local/lib"
pigeon%

 Then the library (don't forget to add -lruby)

pigeon% ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["LIBS"]'
"-ldl -lcrypt -lm"
pigeon%

 with the flags

pigeon% ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["LDFLAGS"]'
"-rdynamic"
pigeon%

 I hope that I've not forgotten an option

Guy Decoux