On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:22:50 GMT, Carl Parrish <cparrish / cox.net> wrote:

>I'd like to echo someone elses comment that while most *users* are using
>Windows I don't think most *developers* are. In every developer shop
>I've worked in the last 5 years most of the developers worked on Linux,
>sometimes on the sly. Today I'm beginning to see more and more Mac OSX
>showing up, and before that solaris seemed to be the platform of choose.
>My point is unless you're making GUI apps (a *very* small % of
>developers), I don't think most programmers want or need to deal with
>Windows. Look at how many perl / python programmers are window
>programmers? I mean I'm sure there are some, but no where near most.
>I do like the idea that if I create a ruby program on Linux it can run
>on Windows but I think that assuming that Windows is the bulk of the
>developers market is incorrect.

When you say "on the sly" ... what were they /supposed/ to be doing?

And who's writing all that Windows software out there? (Not programmers from the
look of a lot of it ... ;-> )

But I don't know, certainly I could be wrong. What does a scan of one of the
jobs sites suggest that companies are looking for?

Maybe it would be just fine if Ruby stays more of a Linux thing. That could be
OK.

Ronald E Jeffries
http://www.XProgramming.com
http://www.objectmentor.com