This is the first time that I've installed ruby, so
I don't know whether this is a problem or not.
OTOH, Mandrake Cooker <b>IS</b> a "work in
progress", and ruby 1.4.5 <b>IS</b> a new release.
So.

I installed it seemingly without problems (except
that Mandrake 1.4.3 folder couldn't be removed
because it wasn't empty -- using kpackage under
KDE).  However, I then unpacked the source into my
home, went to the samples folder, and ran test.rb:
[...@localhost sample]$ ruby test.rb
to be precise.  The start looked fine, but after
awhile I reached a point where it went:
system
ok 1
sh: ./miniruby: No such file or directory
not ok system 2 -- test.rb:893
test.rb:899: command not found: ./miniruby -s
script_tmp -zzz

etc. for quite awhile.  Well, the rpm put ruby into
/usr/bin/ruby (causing me to need to edit the first
line of the script) so perhaps miniruby is just
misplaced.  Perhaps, but neither locate nor find
catch sight of it.  So SOMETHING seems to be wrong,
but I have no idea whether or not it is important,
or what to do about it.  (And if miniruby had been
in the sources, well, if miniruby.c, miniruby.h, or
miniruby.rb had been in the sources, then find would
have found it.)

Suggestions?

-- Charles Hixson
-- charleshixson / earthling.net