>> 1.9.1 didn't build the Tk extension all that well on windows.  It should
>> be fixed with 1.9.2...or there may be some other bug since I only use
>> mingw not VC to compile it.
>>

> The tutorial says use 1.8.x not 1.9.x.

If you're interested in a 1.8.x that works with tk, see
http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/
"Ruby 1.8.6-p27 (RC2)"

Install that, and activeState 8.5 in your path and it should "just work"
>> To reproduce it go into your ext/tk library and run extconf.rb (and
>> nmake I guess).  It should fail.
>>

> Reproduce what? I don't understand.

Reproduce ruby not "finding" Tk to compile it in.

> I'm trying. That's why I'm here. It seems that tk library is not in the
> right place when compiling. Is that it?

I think so.

> Then where should it be so I can
> check and see if it's there?

I'm not sure I've never built it using mswin.

If you want to build it with mingw checkout the tcl branch of
rubyinstaller:
http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tree/tcl

if you run a rake from there
(rake ruby18)
it should build ruby with the tk extension built.

>> Do you have any response to this (it's a gem)?

Typically when you're just starting ruby on windows, it's recommended to
use a pre-built package instead of building it yourself.

gem is ruby's way of distributing libraries easily. google for rubygems.
Cheers!
-rp
>> http://faithpromotingrumors.org/incoming/ruby-1.9.1-p429-i386-mingw32.7z

If you unpack that zip file (download 7 zip to be able to extract it),
you'll get a full fledged ruby 1.9.1 with the Tk extension already
built.