On 2010/07/17, at 06:38, James Rasmussen wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my code. It's attached, and if someone could
> look at it, that would be great. I can't figure out what I'm doing
> wrong. I think it's something wrong with my for loop. Basically, the
> code is supposed to find "spies" for all the entries, but someone =
cannot
> "spy" on a person with their same last name, or themselves. The goal =
is
> to print the list of spies all out. Thank you in advance!

This won't help with your logic problem as it stands .. but it looks =
like others have commented on that.

As another approach, Array.permutation (ruby 1.9) might be of some use =
in solving your problem.  The method will give you all permutations of =
the elements of an array (which doesn't include matching an element with =
itself) ... if you've got an array of arrays, then all you need to do is =
reject permutations where the last-name position in both arrays contain =
the same name... same deal if it's an array of hashes.

I started to insert some sample code here, but then realized that would =
probably defeat the purpose of your exercise. :)

If you're not using 1.9, then I'm sure you can find a quick way to =
implement the equivalent.

HTH,
Matt