Just to clarify¡ÄI was hoping there might be a universal replacement, not
a special case for some specific mobile platform.

Today I can make a web 2.0 rails app with gobs of yucky un-testable
javascript/jquery/prototype/ajax that will run anywhere/everywhere.  It
will run on any desktop machine; any apple device; android; WP7; etc.

The problem with that approach is that a modern web 2.0 app has very
little rails.  The rails part of it is quick and easy but amounts to
little more than a web service or the app's "back end".  There are good
ways to do TDD for that part.  Good tools, good plugins, lots of creamy
goodness all around.

Most of the development time though, is in getting a polished web 2.0
ajaxy UI stuck on the front of that.  For this part (which, as I said,
is the long slow part) there is no universal ruby solution; there is no
good way to do TDD. jQuery and prototype are better than cranking all
your own javascript libraries, but they are not a GUI framework that
leads to a clean and standardized app (like rails does).

Sorry for whining.  Just amazes me that so many years have gone by with
GOBS of stuff happening on the server side and NOTHING happening on the
client side to make web app development smooth and easy like server side
is.

thanks,
jp