    >> line = 'my_service foo yashi 25 bar $1,000,000,000,000' # ;p
    >>
    >> service, ignore, name, age, ignore, salary = line.split
    >> $, = "\t"
    >>
    >> print name, age, salary, service, "\n" -- yashi
    >>

    Dat> That's it, bravo. Your salary is not 2 cents at all.  My code
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dat,

What do you mean by this sentence! Either my english is a lot worser I
thought or you was a bit unpolite here, wasn't you?

I thought yashi's answer was very insightful, especially the '$,'
trick. And you has even not asked him; you have only stated some
strange comment about '$' prefixes in Perl and '#{...}' interpolations
in Ruby. Something like the one above moved down below, so what to
spare ...

    Dat> sample is naive, there are cases where interpolation of

You are right! But his answer whas nevetheless very valueable. It was
your orignially remark that was, ehrm ..., strange! YOU are comparing
apples with bananas. Something like: Eh, intentionally I begun to eat
apples as I have not to peel it like bananas. But now I discover that
apples have pips ... does that mean I have exchanged peel by pips?

    Dat> variables inside double quotes are required, #{...} is the
    Dat> only option.

it seems you to fail to see the differences between Perl and Ruby
here!

- In Perl variables are called like: $foo, @bar, %foobar. If such
  variable names are contained in strings, THEIRS VALUE will be
  interpolated into the string on time of usage. If you want to
  print-out a variable name, you have to escape it within a string.

- In Ruby nothing will be interpolated into a string originally
  (except things like: '\t', '\n', ...). All will be printed as-it
  there. But Ruby offers a possibility to interpolate RESULT OF
  EXPRESSIONS into a string. The expression, however, has to be
  surrounded by #{...} then! So #{a} DOES NOT MEAN CONTENTS of
  variable 'a' but RESULT OF EXPRESSION 'a', may it be a variable may
  it be a method call!

  You could

  also write as:

  But I know for sure what is more readable for me ...

That any syntax HAS to be used to indicate where something has to go
into a string should be clear, shouldn't it? But again, in Ruby you
insert RESULT OF EXPRESSIONs into a string unlike in Perl.

    Dat> Dat

\cle