If all you have available is the href, you could use nokogiri to get the
value of the href, and then either mechanize or http to GET the page at
the link (assuming you want the HTML at that URL back):

request = Mechanize.new
html = request.get("startingURL")
page = Nokogiri::HTML(html.body)
link = page.xpath("//xpath/to/a/@href")