>From: Yasushi Shoji <yashi / yashi.com>
>To: ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: [ruby-talk:03653] Re: Perl and Ruby: an Irony
>Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:30:51 -0400
>
>From: "Dat Nguyen" <thucdat / hotmail.com>
>Subject: [ruby-talk:03645] Perl and Ruby: an Irony
>Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:47:47 EDT
>
> > I am not sure which one, Perl or Ruby, is more readable here. This is a
> > curious observation: to get rid of the $ on one line, one has to pay #{}
>on
> > the following line. Is this the principle "pay it now, or pay it later
> > with interest!" ?
>
>just my two cents
>you don't have to use '#{}' for each variables.
>--
>           yashi
>
>$<.each do |l|
>   if /1999/ =~ l
>     print "#{l.split.join(':')}\n"
>   end
>end

The trouble is sometimes I have to fish some fields in the middle of the
lines, and reorder the fields to be displayed or written to a file. For
instance:

service, ignore, name, age, ignore, salary = split
print "#{name}\t#{age}\t#{salary}\t#{service}\n"

Another point is I use the variable names to document the code. Maintainers
would not have to guess what i am splitting and joining.

Dat