Robert Klemme wrote:

>>> Does this help?
>>>
>>> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/posts/rklemme/001-Using_blocks_for_Robustness.html
>>>

>> Yes - thanks that does help.
>
> Good.
>
>> But, I have to be honest it seems a bit strange to not have to use
>> exception handling. Especially, when coming from the Java way of doing
>> things.
>
> You still need to handle the exception somewhere unless you want to let
> it terminate the program.  It's just the file handle closing that is
> ensured to be done under all circumstances.  And btw you can do the
> similar things in Java with a finally block - it's just awfully more
> verbose.  And even Java has unchecked exceptions (everything that
> inherits Error and RuntimeException).
>
> I've also written another article how to write methods like File.open
> yourself:
> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/posts/rklemme/002_Writing_Block_Methods.html
>
> Kind regards
>
>   robert

Alright, but I guess what I am missing is HOW do we handle the
excpetion? I see now recuse statement.

Maybe I am missing something obvious but, with Java the method signature
indicated the exception being thrown. That way in the calling method I
could deal with it. In this example while I understand that the file
handle will be closed how do you handle an exception raised?

Thanks for your help!