> If it takes only a pathname argument, then you're
> stuck with writing the data to a file

Unfortunately that is precisely my case and that is precisely what I was
trying to avoid.  (And, unfortunately, I don't have any control over the
target code.)

Interestingly, a post that I found seemed to say that I could use the
StringIO approach in the case where a pathname argument was required.
The post said:

> Any easy way to work with a string in a method that is expecting
> a file is to create a new StringIO object and pass the result to
> the method requiring a file type. For example:

> some_method(StringIO.new("Your string here"))

He did say, "file".  It's just that usually methods that follow that
form are expecting a path.  Anyway, as one might expect, it didn't work
for me. I get the following error:

./test1:5:in `read': can't convert StringIO into String (TypeError)

As Ryan says, I guess that I'm stuck to write this out to a temp file.

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.

           ... doug