On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Don French <dhf0820 / gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some working non rails standalone ruby code under ruby 1.8.6
> using activesupport 2.3.5 to take a string and make it into a class
> name. I was doing this:
>
> require "active_support"
> classes = []
> classes << "health_report".classify.constantize
>
> Now under ruby 1.9.2 and rails beta4 it fails. classify is not valid
> and I am not sure of constantize. Is there a new way to take a name
> of a file and make it into a class name so it can be used. I have a
> list of ruby files that contain an individual class. I can require the
> file but I do not know the name of the class. I was using the file
> basename classified and constantized to create the class name that I
> later can use.

Active Support now extends practically nothing by default (so it is
less heavyweight by default).

This is a guide about AS core extensions I am writing myself (work in
progress, due for Rails 3):

    http://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/active_support_core_extensions.html#how-to-load-core-extensions

That particular section explains how to import stuff, there are several options.