christoph.heindl / gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems I have messed up my system somehow to produce strange
> floating point parsing errors (out of range).
>
> -- Environment
> This pc here is running Windows Vista SP 1 (English) and a fresh
> installation of ruby (ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-
> mswin32]) provided by the one-click installer. My regional settings
> are set so that the decimal symbol is '.' and digit grouping symbol is
> ','.
>
> -- Problem
> A floating point number causes an out of range error in either windows
> command prompt or any .rb file.
>
>>ruby -e 'p 12.5'
> -e:1: warning: Float 12.5 out of range
> 12.5
>
> where '12.5' is a placeholder for any decimal number. This also
> happens when placed in a .rb file.
> Other entities, such as integers, cause no parsing errors.
>
> However, in irb everything seems to be fine.
>
>>irb
> irb(main):001:0> p 12.5
> 12.5
>
> Any ideas?

I'm having he same problem.  Simple program (see attached temp.rb) to
calculate fahrenheit/celsius conversions.   to calc. the fahrenheit
where:

f = 1.8  * (temp + 32)

The program works fine but there is a response

 warning:  Float 1.8 out of range.

NOBODY has answered this question as I have googled, yahoo'd and binged
this questions and the closest I get is what ide to use.

Al

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4819/temp.rb