Hello everyone,
   I need to count the number of times a substring occurs in a string.
I am currently doing this using the scan method, but it is simply too
slow.  I feel there should be a faster way to do this since the scan
method is really designed for more advanced things than this.  I do not
need to do regex matching or to process the matches, just count
substrings.  So what I want is something like this:

s = "you like to play with your yo-yo"
s.magical_count_method("yo") => 4

Once again, what I'm really looking for is something fast.  I've tried
using external linux commands such as awk, but that was much much
slower. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Danny.