On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Intransition <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:

> As I continue to work  project development tools I repeatedly run into
> the case of needing a reliable way to identify the project's root
> directory, i.e. to ascend up the directories until it is found.
>
> So far the best idea of come up with is to look for .git/, .hg/ or as
> a fallback, README*.

In cases where I actually need this, I usually have a "root" method defined
on the class/module that represents the project.  This is usually calculated
from __FILE__ based off the file where the "root" method is defined.  I
prefer to have this be the only usage of __FILE__ in the entire project, if
possible.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand