On 06/19/2010 06:16 AM, Josh Cheek wrote:
> Hi, starting basically my biggest project to date (a Rails app). I wasn't
> initially intimidated, but the more we talk about the process of how we get
> from A to B, the more I realize that it involves tons of conditional,
> overridable, partially applied until approved but maybe gets rolled back or
> overridden, messy rules, and very large (for me anyway) domain of
> information being collected, generated, queried and acted upon.
>
> I'm usually pretty confident, because I work hard and I reflect a lot, and
> am able to anticipate and overcome quite a few hurdles due to that. But
> right now I'm really worried that any small mistake or poor decision in how
> I design or implement it could reverberate out and have an extremely
> negative impact on the project. Done right it will probably be very
> convoluted, done wrong it will be a nightmare.

Look at what approaches worked for other people.  Martin Fowler has some
pretty good articles[1].  These are all pretty good books.

Analysis Patterns: Reusable Object Models
ISBN 0201895420

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
ISBN 0321127420

Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying
Messaging Solutions
ISBN 0321200683

Edward

1. http://martinfowler.com/articles.html