I'd second Code Complete. Like the Pragmatic Programmer, it's a really a
book for teaching you ways of thinking. The code examples are brief and
in Java or C++; I'm not sure why it was published by Microsoft Press, as
there's nothing Microsoft-specific in it.

Design Patterns in Ruby by Russ Olsen is also fantastic.