We've run across an odd error from our Ruby application
when we've tried any number of 1.7.2 CVS snapshots over the
course of the last couple weeks:

.../InteriorCell.rb:73:in `to_f': Float 2.70954132 out of range (ArgumentError)
        from ./InteriorCell.rb:73:in `parameterLookup'
        from ./InteriorCell.rb:73:in `map'
        from ./InteriorCell.rb:73:in `parameterLookup'
        from ./InteriorCell.rb:73:in `map!'
        from ./InteriorCell.rb:73:in `parameterLookup'
        from ./InteriorCell.rb:61:in `initialize'
        from ./CellCollection.rb:38:in `new'
        from ./CellCollection.rb:38:in `initialize'
         ... 8 levels...
        from ./Case.rb:15:in `times'
        from ./Case.rb:15:in `initialize'
        from ./Scalar.rb:65:in `new'
        from ./Scalar.rb:65

The offending code bit,

    68   def parameterLookup(cellReynolds)
    69    logRe = Math.log10(cellReynolds)
    70    unless @@alphaTable
    71     @@alphaTable = IO.readlines @@rkCoefficientsFile
    72     4.times{@@alphaTable.shift}
    73     @@alphaTable.map!{|line| line.split.map{|n| n.to_f}}.sort!
    74    end

works just fine in 1.6.7 and the three lines (71..73) work fine
in 1.7.2's irb if we feed it the file name, etc.  Consequently,
we haven't been able to boil this down to some self-contained
example yet...

The first couple lines in the @@rkCoefficientsFile look like:

 TITLE="Fitting paramters"
VARIABLES="Log_1_0(Re_`D)","D","`a_1"
,"`a_2"
,"`a_3"
 2.70954132 2.53154492 0.153846145 0.235218957 0.498070031
 2.18924904 2.58501315 0.151515156 0.234702915 0.494549394
 1.96188164 2.63824701 0.149253741 0.234177560 0.491166115

and here's the latest version we tried:

 ruby 1.7.2 (2002-03-20) [i686-linux]

Apparently about to finally learn how to use the debugger,
-- 
Bil Kleb
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, Virginia, USA