--0016e6db5c078ed611048915c4ad

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Martin DeMello <martindemello / gmail.com>wrote:

> Is DataMapper really that unhelpful, or am I doing something wrong? Is
> Sequel any better in this regard? If I do switch to Sequel, is the
> model support as good as DataMapper's?

Hi Martin,
   DataMapper has changed a bit over the last few months, so I cant help you
with the
specifics of debugging. In practice I have found it a challenge to make
DataMapper
conform to legacy schema, and error feedback was limited.

I have only glanced over the feature list of Sequel, but its a library that
has had ongoing
development. It has an ORM layer, but it is optional. You will lose a lot of
the richness
of DataMappers model layer (and it *is* sublime), but you will likely have
less hassles
mapping Sequel to your old schema. IMO this is the hard problem.

I lost more time on mapping issues than I saved with the nice features that
DataMapper
gave me.

regards,
Richard.