On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Chuck Brotman <brotman / nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to print an array (of strings, mostly) with commas separating the
> elements (so it would look like the result in the irb
>
> a =[one,two,three]
> printspecial a    # should produce "[one, two, three]" not "onetwothree"
> as it                # currently does
>

> I tried a.map{|s| s.to_s + ", "
> but this gives me [one, two, three,]
> with an extra comma trailing the last element
>
> Is there a nice  ruby idiom to do what I want (or to simply produce the
> necessary string for printing?
>
> Or, do I have to resort to an explicit loop checking for the last
> element and not alter it?
> --

As other people have pointed out, you are looking for the inspect method. If
you are wanting to print it
p a
puts a.inspect

are the same thing.

As far as your issue with the comma after the last element, the join method
will do what you were trying to do with map, except it won't put it on the
last element.

a.join(', ')  # => "1, 2, 3"