Phil Richards wrote:
> I guess its telling me dump is a string and you can't do "string".each

Correct: String#each was removed from 1.9

> But i don't understand why this--and several similar--scripts DID WORK
> with Ruby 1.8.7  So 1.8.7 would "split up" dump at every newline (CR/LF)
> but 1.9.1 will not...???

That's right.

ruby 1.9 is a substantially different language than 1.8, both in terms
of its implementation (YARV engine) and its language specification (e.g.
total change to how Strings work). You might not infer this from the
"minor" version bump, but it's the case.

> Can someone tell me what's going on, and what i should try to get these
> to work
> with 1.9.1?

You'll have to take it case-by-case. For example, use String#each_line
here. (Incidentally, I can see no logical reason for removing
String#each but not removing IO#each)

The good news is that the 1.8 language remains alive and well, so you
can just stick with that.