On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 03:25:06PM +0900, Robert Klemme wrote:
> Drop your requirement.  Think about it: what you require is extremely
> hard to do.  How do you expect the option parsing to work reliably in
> light of ambiguity?  If for example -e is also a valid option then what
> do you make of this?  Since you likely also want to recognize -h you
> have the ambiguity built in right from the start.

Well, while I agree with you, my colleagues will claim that Perl's
Getopt::Long pulls it off :)

> Alternatively, you could preprocess the arguments and look for "-help"
> yourself e.g.
>
> ARGV.map! {|arg| '-help' == arg ? '--help' : arg}

Yeah, but you'd have to do that for all the long option words.

I wonder, is there an easy way to get the list of long option names from
optparse? If there was, you could do the above replacement only on those
elements of ARGV that are a long option, and keep bundled arguments such as
`-Dfoo=bar' working as it wouldn't match any of the long option names.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Robert!

--
Jos Backus