On 06/08/2010 11:15 AM, Dave Howell wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2010, at 18:59 , Edward Middleton wrote:
>> I think you might be underestimating the difficult/complexity of faking
>> a domain model and overestimating the advantage gained from the various
>> template helper functions, as always YMMV.
>
> That's quite possible. Er, 'faking' a domain model? I'm not even sure
> what that means. {off to Wikipedia...}

The wikipedia page isn't particularly useful. Martin Fowlers web page is
better, i.e.

  "An object model of the domain that incorporates both
   behavior and data."

and there is a reasonable explanation in EAA[1].

> Ah. I don't think I'm trying to 'fake' that. I am putting in tremendous
> effort to ensure that the data and relationships in my database are as
> accurate and complete a model of how the information flows between the
> various departments and members of the corporation for whom I'm working,
> as possible. I certainly hope to have the Ruby components reflect that
> as well.

Well a domain model is pretty much that plus behavior but starting from
an object model and then mapping to a database.

Edward

1.
http://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Enterprise-Application-Architecture-Martin/dp/0321127420