> I agree with Mark that SVG is important for web-deployment.
> Javascript however is a last resort. Most, if not all, interactions can
> be encapsulated inside of SVG and SMIL. There is very little need for
> Javascript--which is also good for a cross-language approach.
>
> -roger

Long term I really need individual event handling on each node of the
SVG document, which is why I wouldn't put interactions within the SVG
doc.

Thanks for explaining the difference between bitmaps and vector based
images. I have a beginner 'black box' view of what I want, an image that
is essentially a set of objects that I can modify properties on at
runtime. I'm assuming SVG is the only technology that will give me this.