http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/

>The ruby application is going to render SVG, and connect to another
>program via a socket for control.

I agree with Mark that SVG is important for web-deployment.
Javascript however is a last resort. Most, if not all, interactions can
be encapsulated inside of SVG and SMIL. There is very little need for
Javascript--which is also good for a cross-language approach.

-roger