Yotta Meter schrieb:

>Maybe I can read the file.svg, modify it, and then write it as a temp
>file, and then import it using Jeszra?

Yes,
but with the mentioned restrictions.
There is not one feature complete SVG 1.1 application, today.
The best coverage has sqiuggle (java, based on batik).

>I guess I'm not clear on the code generation - I just think of svg as
>sort of a text based bitmap. I'll have to take a look at it and try it
>out.

SVG is vector graphics, not a bitmap, it does not create a bitmap.
When using cairo and xrender (under X11) a lot of the graphic
processing can be delegated to the GPU--which is what Microsoft is
currently doing with IE9-- in an ideal world all the SVG
 processing could be handled by a GPU.

The difference to a bitmap (raster image)
is its scalability --hence Scalable Vector Graphics.

-roger