The goal is to create a bunch of scripts that can be piped together
easily on the command line in a UNIX environment to manipulate text
based records. They scripts are supposed to be easy to use, but also
easy to write - in whatever programming language. Have a look here:
www.biopieces.org.

I  expect/hope to learn Ruby with your fine assistance, and I want to
keep in mind good practices etc. However, for this particular project it
is difficult.

Cheers,

Martin