Michal Suchanek wrote:

> I am trying to run some JRuby script and I have to set the CLASSPATH
> for my script to work.
[...]
> Note that while this example uses JRuby there might be native
> extensions which require specific environment settings and woud have
> the same launcher requirements.

To rephrase: Your software requires some environment variables to be set
in order to run. The standard way of providing this is is to install a
script with the executable bit set in /etc/profile.d/ that modifies the
environment variables on login, e.g.:

/etc/profile.d/mypackage.sh:

export CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/additional/class/paths"

/etc/profile is read on login and should run any executable scripts it
finds in /etc/profile.d/.

Hope this helps,
Henning