On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Tyler Smart <tyleresmart / gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking to execute a password change over Net-ssh...
>
> I know the connection works because using a simple exec I can get the
> output from ls on the remote server, but this hangs.
>
> Any ideas?

Here's an old script I had used to randomize weak passwords.  I
haven't tried it for years, but I hope it helps:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'rubygems'
require 'net/ssh'

usernames = ["username"]
passwords = ["password"]
hostnames = ["hostname"]

# For example:
#   usernames = [ 'alice', 'bob', 'charlie' ]
#   usernames = %qw{ alice bob charlie }
#   passwords = [ 'password', 'baseball', 'apple', '123456' ]
#   hostnames = [ 'alpha', 'beta' ]

srand

hostnames.each do |hostname|
  puts hostname
  usernames.each do |username|
    puts "\t#{username}"
    passwords.each do |password|
      puts "\t\t#{password}"
      begin
        Net::SSH.start( hostname, username, password ) do |session|
          puts "\t\t\tBAD"
          command = "passwd"
          newword = ""
          (rand(32) + 32).times do
            newword << (rand(95) + 32).chr
          end

          session.process.open( command ) do |shell|
            shell.on_success do |p|
              puts "process started"
            end

            shell.on_failure do |p|
              puts "process failed to start"
            end

            shell.on_stderr do |p,data|
              puts "E-> #{data}"
              case data
                when /\(current\) UNIX password:/
                  p.puts password
                  puts "********"
                when /New UNIX password:/
                  p.puts newword
                  puts "********"
                when /Retype new UNIX password:/
                  p.puts newword
                  puts "********"
                else
                  puts "DEATH!"
                  exit

            shell.on_stdout do |p,data|
              puts "O-> #{data}"
            end

            shell.on_exit do |p, status|
              puts "process finished with exit status: #{status}"
      rescue
        puts "\t\t\tok"