I don't know, I have the same feeling. Also, even if you're in a production
environment and only do Bundler.require(:default, :production), for example,
other group's gem are still needed to be installed, which is something I
don't like very much (although it is necessary, according to Yehuda Katz
[1])

[1]: http://yehudakatz.com/2010/05/09/the-how-and-why-of-bundler-groups/