On 05/13/2010 12:51 AM, Carter Cheng wrote:
> ... I am actually not interested in running applications
> per se but in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each of
> the respective platforms. I am trying to figure out what runs
> fast/slow on each platform and what each of them are good at
> performance wise. In terms of techniques I am curious how to proceed.

I suggest you look at, and understand the qualitative differences
between the implementations before getting into benchmarking.

ruby 1.8 only supports green threads
ruby 1.9 supports native threads with a GIL Global Interpreter Lock
jruby supports native threads

There are obviously other differences and other implementations.

Edward