On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM, R. Kumar <sentinel.2001 / gmx.com> wrote:
> Although, many of us do use text editors like vim/emacs, and apps such
> as alpine/mutt/mc/vifm, and a lot of other command line utilities, but
> is there scope for new apps to be written on the terminal/console.
> If yes, what are such apps ?

imho, the reason we do not see much curses apps is because the curses
api interface and/or the installation itself is terrible.

i like the ui of rbcurse, but i find it very difficult to install.
There is ffi-curses, but its ui calls are crude, ergo too slow for
fast scripting devt, ergo not fit for ruby's oo ease...

let's take a simple example: a simple program that prompts for the ff:

First Name:  __________
Last Name:__________
Userid:__________
Password: __________

without curses-based ui interface, i have to rerun the program again
if i want to change one of those fields. wc is really terrible.

that said, any app i can imagine may have a need for text ui. hands
down, administration/mgt program is one. pls don't let me run a webgui
or any gui for that matter. i do not do gui on my servers. i only use
ssh, and i find it not only very secure, but also very fast.

thanks and kind regards -botp

ps: are you kumar, the creator of rbcurse?