--Apple-Mail-100-364174051

Dear Robert,

Thanks for your well thought out response.

On 3/05/2010, at 6:15 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> On 05/02/2010 02:28 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>> This is a follow up from previous postings about teaching Ruby in the class room.
>> I've now come full circle, and put together this website:
>> 	http://programming.dojo.net.nz/
>
> I don't find your description of Java accurate.  For one, it has a slightly negative tendency ("This can make it difficult to write short and concise Java programs.").  I'd rather stick with descriptions as factual as possible.  I would only put such a statement in a later chapter but not directly on the introductory page.

Yes I agree with you. I've removed the statement.

Are there any other issues which you feel are not correct? I'd prefer to make it as good as possible, so if there are other inaccuracies it would be good to improve.

> Then, you could argue that Ruby is even more object oriented than Java because it does not have primitive types.  Also, the ascription that it is an interpreted languages is at least incorrect in two ways: it insinuates that it is slower than compiled languages - which it is not - and it misses the point of modern HotSpot JVM's with dynamic compilation of byte code into machine code.

Are you saying that I should not describe Ruby as an interpreted language? Or, should I discuss that interpreted languages can be as fast as compiled languages through advanced techniques such as hotspot compilation?

The latter seems like the best option to me.. what do you think?

>> This site is about programming languages in general, and is designed to be a starting point for people interested in learning more about a given programming language.
>> I'd be really grateful for people to look at the site and let me know any feedback about the content and how it is presented.
>> In particular interest to this group is the Ruby page:
>> 	http://programming.dojo.net.nz/languages/ruby/index
>
> The introductory sentence misses the phrase "object oriented" which I consider at least as important as the others (if not more important). I'd probably write "Ruby is a dynamically typed, object oriented programming language ..."

Yes this makes sense, I wonder how I missed that... to many late nights :p I've updated it with this new text.

> If anything this seems to be an ambitious project.  Good luck!
>
> Kind regards
>
> 	robert
>
> --
> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/