On 05/02/2010 02:28 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> This is a follow up from previous postings about teaching Ruby in the class room.
>
> I've now come full circle, and put together this website:
> 	http://programming.dojo.net.nz/

I don't find your description of Java accurate.  For one, it has a
slightly negative tendency ("This can make it difficult to write short
and concise Java programs.").  I'd rather stick with descriptions as
factual as possible.  I would only put such a statement in a later
chapter but not directly on the introductory page.

Then, you could argue that Ruby is even more object oriented than Java
because it does not have primitive types.  Also, the ascription that it
is an interpreted languages is at least incorrect in two ways: it
insinuates that it is slower than compiled languages - which it is not -
and it misses the point of modern HotSpot JVM's with dynamic compilation
of byte code into machine code.

> This site is about programming languages in general, and is designed to be a starting point for people interested in learning more about a given programming language.
>
> I'd be really grateful for people to look at the site and let me know any feedback about the content and how it is presented.
>
> In particular interest to this group is the Ruby page:
> 	http://programming.dojo.net.nz/languages/ruby/index

The introductory sentence misses the phrase "object oriented" which I
consider at least as important as the others (if not more important).
I'd probably write "Ruby is a dynamically typed, object oriented
programming language ..."

If anything this seems to be an ambitious project.  Good luck!

Kind regards

	robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/