On Apr 30, 3:42   岰
> On Apr 29, 9:43
>

> > On Apr 29, 7:56   岰
>
> > > I am new to ruby. I want to install a ruby gem which tries to build a
> > > native extension. The gem in this case is nokogiri. If I do gem
> > > install nokogiri, the native extension dynamically links against
> > > libxml, libxslt libs. I want to statically link against those libs.
> > > How should I go about this?
>
> > Please provide information about your ruby installation and rubygems
> > version (usually "gem env" command is enough)
>
> > Also, if using Linux, which distribution is helpful too to determine
> > which commands would you require to execute.
>
> > Help us help you
> > --
> > Luis Lavena
>
> Thanks for the reply Luis.
> The output of gem env
> RubyGems Environment:
> - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.1
> - RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2009-12-07 patchlevel 376) [i686-linux]
> - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /opt/lin32/ruby-1.9.1-p376/lib/ruby/gems/
> 1.9.1
> - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /opt/lin32/ruby-1.9.1-p376/bin/ruby
> - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /opt/lin32/ruby-1.9.1-p376/bin
> - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
> - ruby
> - x86-linux
> - GEM PATHS:
>  /opt/lin2/ruby-1.9.1-p376/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
>  /home/john/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
> - GEM CONFIGURATION:
>  :update_sources => true
>  :verbose => true
>  :benchmark => false
>  :backtrace => false
>  :bulk_threshold => 1000
> - REMOTE SOURCES:
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/
>
> I am running it on a RHEL 3 machine.

Please look in RHEL documentation how to install GCC and build tools
required to compilation.

Also, you will need the development headers/packages of your Ruby and
the libraries that the gem you install will require.

If you tell us more about "what" gem are you trying to install and the
specific error message when doing "gem install <gemname> --debug -V"
provides you, the better.

--
Luis Lavena