On Apr 21, 2010, at 9:25 AM, John Briggs wrote:
> It seems to work but often I get the following error:
>

> [BUG] The handle is invalid.
>
> ruby 1.9.1p378 (2010-01-10 revision 26273) [i386-mingw32]
>
> -- control frame ----------
> ---------------------------
> -- Ruby level backtrace
> information-----------------------------------------
>
> [NOTE]
> You may encounter a bug of Ruby interpreter. Bug reports are welcome.
> For details: http://www.ruby-lang.org/bugreport.html
>

> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.
>

> and all the script crashes.
>
> I tried to run the same script on CentOS and it is working without
> problems, but I can not stick to just one OS. I need this script to work
> on every OS that Ruby runs on.
>
> So my question is: Does anybody know how to get rid of this error on
> windows or maybe any workaround and what this error mean?

You might want to try the release from ruby-lang.org [1]. It is built differently than the version you are running (I assume you got it from rubyinstaller.org). The Ruby from ruby-lang is built using Microsoft's development tools and calls into Win32 APIs directly. The version from rubyinstaller.org is built against MinGW which provides a POSIX emulation layer on top of most Windows APIs. As a result, the mingw version exercises more UNIX code paths than it does Windows code paths in the 1.9.x source.

That said, you should still submit your code example as a bug report against the 1.9.x codebase.

cr

[1] http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/