On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Seebs <usenet-nospam / seebs.net> wrote:
>
> > On 2010-04-15, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
> > liberty
> > > than to those attending too small a degree of it.
> > > --Thomas Jefferson
> >
> > Non-sequitur. Liberty" does not mean that anyone who wants can disrupt
> > anything, or harass anyone, they want.  ¨Βεγεξνοδεςατιοξ δοεσ ξο> > noticably
> > impair liberty.
> >
> > More generally, a liberty which is useless has been effectively removed.
> >

> I think a better non sequitur is going from not wanting a moderator to being
> an anarchist. But that's not the point anyway, I'm not talking about their
> liberty, I'm talking about mine. I would rather have a few people spam a few
> threads than have to censor my posts out of fear of moderation. You can say
> moderation doesn't noticeably impair Liberty, but Jefferson also pointed out
> that "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government
> to gain ground. "

Does this mean you are for moderation or against it?I can't tell.
Personally, I don't find the list that hard to wade through.I like
to think my shit detector is pretty finely tuned, albeit I haven't
found many useful threads lately, but that's also beside point.The
reason for subscribing to any list is to maintain some sort of
interactivity with the other subscribers which is the basic purpose.
If people feel that basic purpose is being violated then something has
to be done.

If there are more people for moderation, then I think the people
have spoken and we should implement some moderators.If there are
more people on the side of self-policing, then we should abide by that
as well.I also think if you're *really* interested in talking about
Ruby the programming language, you'll find that you really won't have
to really self-censor much, so I also don't find that to be
necessarily a valid concern (although I can see where self-control
should prevail which is, obviously, a form of self-censorship).I'm
for self-policing for the most part, with a gentle moderation of
posters like thunk.  Otherwise, things were moving along as normally
as can be expected on mailing list.