Aleksi Niemel? <aleksi.niemela / cinnober.com> writes:

> What do you guys think, would it be step to right direction to add
> DBC to the language (or to the interpreter).

My personal vote is 'no', or at least not right now.

I'd personally like to investigate the alternatives, mechanisms which
work better in a dynamic environment.

I think DbC is a great technique, but personally I find I get most of
the benefit from thinking about the invariants as I code--I've never
found adding them to code to be tremendously useful (with one
exception--a fairly hairy sort/merge I hacked together a few years back).

I'd like to open up the discussion, to talk about Dylan's type
systems, Objective C's protocols, Smalltalk's protocols and the like
to see if there's a synthesis of ideas that will serve us better.

(Of course, trying to work out a way to implement DbC in pure Ruby is
a fun exercise too!)

Regards

Dave