As has been pointed out, NO you do NOT need to learn C.

I believe Ruby is a better place to start programming.  But learning to
program is not "easy", and certainly not quick.  Worth it, but requires
much work.

Matt started asking the kind of questions you need to answer before you
start any program.  Robert pointed out that - maybe - you don't need a
custom program to do what you want.

If you want to learn to program, good for you!  Use BOTH the book you
have and Pine's.  Read them like novels, just to get an orientation to
programming and Ruby.  Then decide if you want to proceed with learning
to program.  If so,   the problem you state is a fine place to start.

If you just want to solve the problem, I would suggest that you do it in
Excel.  In fact, you should consider doing it in Excel, even if you WILL
write the program.  By doing it in Excel first, you'll start to answer
the kind of questions Matt raised.

Have fun!

Jim Maher