On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2010, at 21:57 , Richard Conroy wrote:
> > To be clear, I see this issue when checking out code across multiple
> systems
> > which have
> > different gems and gem versions installed. More specifically this is a
> > thorny problem with
> > non-explicit gem use, like when I choose to use a gem which in turn has
> > other dependencies
> > and incompatibility between different versions of the gems.
>
> This is exactly the type of thing that isolate solves. It is perfectly
> reasonable to have isolate installed as the only global gem and each project
> uses isolate to declare their gem dependencies and they're all installed
> private to each project.

I will look into isolate, though the problem I face isn't due to
production/professional environments.

I often evaluate different gems or run through example code as part of
course work or general curiosity.
Sometimes I settle on a solution that I take further on, and its usually at
that stage that I need to figure
out exact gem dependencies. I often end up being shanghaied into helping out
someone else's ruby
problem as well. The messiest issues are always gem related.

I was just curious if there was a mechanism to inspect the loaded gems from
an application (and their
versions). Even unusual techniques, like perhaps objectspace inspection, or
reopening gem specific
methods.

Just curious if anyone knew any techniques.
--
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com