> Primary keys and unique indexes in the database ensure that you don't
> have duplicated rows.
> Are you using ActiveRecord?

I don't even know what that means yet. I just started with Rails a few
days ago. I just created a project, created a database with the fields I
want, and used scaffold. I can add/edit/delete elements of my database,
that's pretty much all. I've already written a class that will parse XML
files for data, load that data into an array of instantiated classes
called "Movie". For example, each Movie class has a title, rating, plot,
etc. I just want to make sure the movie's title and release date don't
already exist in a database before I add them. For example, I was
thinking of something like this:

# @movie_db is the Rails SQLite3 database
# @movies holds the temporary array of all the Movie classes,
             #each which have many variables: title, rating, plot, etc

@movies.each { |i|
     if @movie_db.find { |x| (x["title"] == i.title) and
x["release_year"] == x.release_year } == false
        @movie_db = MovieDb.new("title"=>i.title,"plot"=>i.plot,etc)
        @movie_db.save

^ This is just the basic code. It makes sure @movies elements will only
be added if a movie is unique (based on title and release date (since
there are some movies with the same name, but none that I can think of
with the same name AND release year)).