I took a look at the matrix.rb and here is one question:

Could we 'add' new  way of responding to parameters for
existing method?

For example, could we add ( or why can't we do this?)

def *(m)
       if(m.is_a?(Array))
             return m.collect  {|x|   x  * m}
        else
              return #whatever the original method does.

Under the Integer ( or other 'number' class, Fixnum, Bignum and so on.)
class method?

Is there a way to do it ( without inventing new class)?

I look at the matrix.rb and they didn't implement this. In other words,
if ou want to multiple the vector by a scalar, do it the '.scalar' way
(or something like that.)

Thanks

Hubert