On 2010-03-28, thunk <gmkoller / gmail.com> wrote:
> I can write up pages on either of these topics, my problem is that I'm
> totally confused about to whom and also WHY, at this point.  Some
> folks seem to not want to believe this works, are hostile even, and
> others are ready to ho-hum it.  Fine.  I'll send all'ya'all a link to
> a working commercial site  someday not that far off.

I honestly still have absolutely no idea what a "boid" is.

If I might make a suggestion:  You have a whole lot of analogies,
metaphors, and language about how amazing the things are that you could
do with these things.  You don't have a simple, plain English, description
of them that I've seen.

A lot of people will be uninterested in your technology until they can read
that description.

Basically, consider the following two paragraphs:

	Ruby is a transformation of the entire paradigm through which we
	view or think about computers; it's like the showing the Wright
	brothers a modern hang-glider.  I think Ruby has amazing potential
	to allow people to develop software totally unlike other
	software, and thus solve fundamental problems in medicine, because
	a Ruby program could answer questions doctors might have that
	current software can't answer.

	Ruby is an object-oriented interpreted language, with an unusually
	complete commitment to everything-is-an-object; for instance, even
	plain fixed integer objects are objects, as are values like "false"
	or "nil".  Ruby's design is focused on clarity and expressiveness,
	and in particular on achieving these through allowing terse
	expression of common constructs.

The first paragraph makes me think that the writer is probably going to
end up listed on crank.net someday.  The second makes me curious to see how
Ruby achieves these things, but gives me at least a frame of reference for
understanding what Ruby is.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam / seebs.net