I am trying to find a solution to remove the overall indentation of a
block of text while preserving the relative indentation of each line,
for example

  line 1
    line 2

(2 spaces then 4 spaces)
should become

line 1
  line 2

(0 spaces then two spaces)

so that the two space between lines relative indentation is preserved,
yet the first two spaces overall indentation goes away.

what I have tried so far is string .strip, which seems to remove all
leading space of the first line only

content =
"  line 1
    line2"
output = content.strip
print output

produces

line 1
    line 2

0 spaces then 4.

whereas Im going for

a result of 0 then 2 from starting with 2 then 4.

I assume the solution would probably involve getting the number of
spaces for the first line and removing that number of spaces from each
line in the block?

thanks in advance for your help.