Gavin Kistner wrote:
> On Mar 24, 4:07am, Saeed Bhuta <saeed.bh... / placr.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have saved the html code into an Array but having difficulty
>> manipulating the elements to extract the exact value that I require from
>> the html code.
>
> What difficulty?
>
>>         #in this part, I have tried various string manipulation
>> methods to extract the values that i need, but doesn't seem to work, it
>> either returns nil for each element or throws an error
>
> What do you want to do? What have you tried? What happened? Why wasn't
> it what you wanted?
>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Provide more details, get more help :)

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'
                #open the web page
    @doc= Hpricot(open("http://www.website.com"))

    #searches for images in the page and stores them in an array
    images = (@doc/'img[@width^="54"]')

    #puts images

    #go through images names to get platform number
    images.each { |img|
    img.to_s
    #extract characters one to four from image name
                img[0,4]
                puts img
    }

However this returns the error 'wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)
(ArgumentError)'

Hope this make sense...

Saeed