On Mar 21, 7:55=A0pm, Philip Rhoades <p... / pricom.com.au> wrote:
> Thunk,
>
> I have been reading the posts but I still have problems understanding
> what this setup is actually for - I have an interest in Ruby and
> biological simulations so the word "swarm" captured my attention. =A0Can
> you describe what you are attempting to do in a more simple/overview way
> so I can see if I should be interested in this or not?
>
> Thanks!,
>
> Phil.
>
> On 2010-03-22 06:15, thunk wrote:
>

> > Robert,
>
> > Whatever else this project is, I think it has to be a rather "extreme
> > design". Will you give me that? =A0Development and debugging has been
> > slow and involved early on. =A0Only after multiple iterations have I
> > been able to simplified and the roles clarified to where things are
> > now. =A0The set of "Boids" have determined the names and functions of
> > most of the other project parts. =A0There's a strong mental model to
> > adjust to, but some elements of the project like the need for a
> > "categorization" scheme did not become evident until I was thinking,
> > "ok I have the results from 100 fired! boids, what can I do with
> > them? =A0Early on I had developed the concept of a "result record" and
> > the result record could be used by subsequent passes to build reports
> > - I spent a week testing it back when. =A0What I didn't see at first wa=
> > the use of "output panel" that acts on the results of the Boids like a
> > big billboard passively announcing the number of various "hits" in
> > various subcategories. =A0It all makes sense, and seems totally natural
> > when you see it in the context of "your domain". =A0I really don't thin=
> > it was so obvious when I was designing the DSLs the support the
> > various sections of the Boids.
>
> > In he current design there is a "transmitter object", and a "receiver
> > Object". =A0The receiver object "debriefs" the Boids and send info to
> > the "Control Panel" and into open "Work Sheets" (probably particular
> > to =A0my domain). =A0The Boid author specifies the assertions he needs =
> > arrive at a passed/failed conclusion. =A0These things build up into
> > something pretty interesting with depth. =A0Each Boid, so far, is
> > limited to using a single helper_class - where the "real" logic and
> > calculations are concentrated. =A0The boid is a sort of "gatherer shell=
"
> > or something - but that's the whole idea - they must be kept simple so
> > that non-programmer types can design them.
>
> > What's exciting about this? =A0Hmmm. =A0What's exciting to me is that t=
he
> > system could grow from outside experts from a network of say 1,000 to
> > 10,000 boids "organically" without the need to change one line of code
> > in the framework. =A0What I think should be 'exciting' to
> > entrepreneurial types is that this can be done using outside resources
> > - like a forum. So the whole thing becomes something like a "knowledge
> [...]

Let me know if the Vocabulary effort helped?   It's rather "extreme"
and frankly makes no sense at all performance or development effort on
a "from scratch basis" unless the app has some real complexity or the
externally contributed aspect can grow the knowledge-base.  I think it
is ideal to get hooked up to forums as a sort of parallel to the text
messages but building up the knowledge-base.  I have concocted a
couple examples from the medical field - it starts jumping out at you
when you see it.  And, its fun :)