Le 19 mars 2010 ? 17:00, James Edward Gray II a ?crit :

Hi.

>>> Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side so I
>>> can look it up and see what happened to it?  Thanks.
>>
>> http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad4858886ddf/af74b26045f69573
>>
>> My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.
>
> Fred, we hare having trouble getting Usenet postings from your server.
> The issue comes when I try to skip forward to a recent article, using
> this code in the gateway:
/.../
> The server appears to be denying all of my stat() calls as last_id_sent
> just keeps counting down:
>
> # ruby /var/ruby_talk_gateway/bin/news_to_mail.rb /var/log/gateway_news_to_mail.log
> 263164
> 263163
> 263162
> 263161
> 263160
> 263159
> 263158
> 263157
> 263156
> ?
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm not sure of what this code is supposed to do.  Well, of why it does
that, to be precise - are you trying to find the last gated article to
retrieve an ID ?

In this case, the reason it's looping is quite simply that you are
trying to get articles below the first article in the group (returned by
the "group" command).

| 11:00 news@talisker:~% telnet localhost 119
| /.../
| group comp.lang.ruby
| 211 204 263180 263385 comp.lang.ruby
          ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
          lomark himark

| stat 263180
| 223 263180 <dd1a5173-0e1f-49f8-9081-0e4db0f0ee90 / l25g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> status
| stat 263179
| 423 Bad article number

This is due to yet another hardware problem with the box recently (the
disk controller died).  It seems the overview database (the database of
important header fields) has been corrupted for this group, leading to a
very low number of articles (205) while I have a few thousands on disk.

I have just launched a rebuild of the databases, it should recover all
the articles... but it's a bit slow on that machine.

The good news is that I have found a replacement server.  I'll try to
put it in production in a few weeks.

CYA,

Fred
--
It enters your veins      It enters your soul     It tries to obsess you
It looks for defaults      Try not to lose           Not to lose control