On 2010-03-18, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> Please don't repeat this, because as I pointed out on ruby-core, it's
> not true. it's not illegal to load libreadline and openssl in the same
> process; it's illegal to ship software that contains both. Neither the
> OpenSSL license nor the GNU GPL address use or incidental in-memory
> copies, only distribution.

The issue is, historically, that the FSF has claimed that a program
written to use the libreadline API is thereby a "derivative work" of
libreadline.  A while back, they were arguing that the only way this
would be untrue would be if someone were to create a call-compatible
"readline" implementation, so that code couldn't be shown to be
unable to work without libreadline.

Which is funny, because I know of at least one such implementation dating
back to 1992.  Rich $alz posted it, with these terms:

X Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose on
X any computer system, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject
X to the following restrictions:
X 1. The authors are not responsible for the consequences of use of this
X    software, no matter how awful, even if they arise from flaws in it.
X 2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented, either by
X    explicit claim or by omission.  Since few users ever read sources,
X    credits must appear in the documentation.
X 3. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
X    misrepresented as being the original software.  Since few users
X    ever read sources, credits must appear in the documentation.
X 4. This notice may not be removed or altered.

(Yes, it was a shar script.)

Long story short:  There hasn't been a problem with stuff merely designed
to work with readline or something compatible with it since 1992 or possibly
earlier.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam / seebs.net