On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> 2010/3/19 James Edward Gray II <james / graysoftinc.com>:
>> On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
>>=20
>>> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
>>> slow).  I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago.  Anybody with
>>> similar experiences?
>>=20
>> Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup =
side so I can look it up and see what happened to it?  Thanks.
>=20
> =
http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad48588=
86ddf/af74b26045f69573
>=20
> My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.

Fred, we hare having trouble getting Usenet postings from your server.  =
The issue comes when I try to skip forward to a recent article, using =
this code in the gateway:

# switch to the last message we sent (or the first real message before =
that)
begin
  Timeout.timeout(30) do
    nntp.stat(last_id_sent)
  end
rescue Timeout::Error
    log.error "The NNTP message shift timed out."
    exit
rescue
  if $!.message.include?("Bad article number") and last_id_sent.nonzero?
    last_id_sent -=3D 1
    retry
  else
	  log.fatal "Unable to switch to the last message:  =
#{$!.message}"
    exit -1

The server appears to be denying all of my stat() calls as last_id_sent =
just keeps counting down:

# ruby /var/ruby_talk_gateway/bin/news_to_mail.rb =
/var/log/gateway_news_to_mail.log=20
263164
263163
263162