On 19/03/10 at 13:20 +0900, Dido Sevilla wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Lucas Nussbaum
> <lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> > If, maybe, the Ruby community fixed the fact that it's illegal to load
> > all of stdlib in the same process (because of OpenSSL vs GPL)
>
> http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
>
> "On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes
> (the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part
> of the normal operating system distribution). "

Full quote:

"On other systems, the situation is less clear. Some GPL software
copyright holders claim that you infringe on their rights if you use
OpenSSL with their software on operating systems that don't normally
include OpenSSL.

If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it
useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state explicitly that
"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption
that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed." If you are
using GPL software developed by others, you may want to ask the
copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL."

Note that the FSF and Debian think that this is a problem.

I'm not sure how the Ruby copyright is managed. If it is possible to
change the license, I would suggest adding a GPL exemption clause (like
wget did, for example), which would clarify the situation.

From wget's README file:

Additional permission under GNU GPL version 3 section 7

If you modify this program, or any covered work, by linking or
combining it with the OpenSSL project's OpenSSL library (or a
modified version of that library), containing parts covered by the
terms of the OpenSSL or SSLeay licenses, the Free Software Foundation
grants you additional permission to convey the resulting work.
Corresponding Source for a non-source form of such a combination
shall include the source code for the parts of OpenSSL used as well
as that of the covered work.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas / nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |